Ever since I made the mini Vader Quilt, I’ve wanted to make an upsized version. Well, I did it, and it’s for meeeeee. It measures 60″ x 60″. I enlarged the foundation paper piecing templates and had them printed on 36″ wide paper at a local printer. Worked like a charm.
I used five fabrics from Robert Kaufman’s Kona Cotton line: Iron, Coal, Gotham Grey, Pepper, and Black. They all happen to be in my Greyscale 11 Bundle from Sewfinity, so I have plenty on hand.
Each block is 12.5″ square, and here’s the design wall progression:
Binder clips are pretty perfect for keeping the rows together for joining.
As I was removing the paper from the back, it was like I was one of the robo-doctors turning Anakin into Darth Vader.
Vader pulled through surgery. Minor complication in the lower frontal cranial apparatus. Grafted with Kona Black using FPP method. Next scheduled procedures: trim loose sutures and cauterize the posterior seams. 😀
FYI, I didn’t press ALL the seams to the dark side – only a Sith deals in absolutes.
I backed it with Kona Coal and quilted it with a simple cross hatch grid using my Juki and Aurifil 40wt Black thread.
I applied Kona Black as binding. My binding assistant approves.